Sunday, December 14, 2014

Comedy Promotes Values

Henry Bergson believes that, through commedy, we eliminate our disdain for our undesirable tendencies and choose to laugh at them. Through this, we learn that our faults are not as bad as they seem, thus we can correct them. With these new ideals, comedy can promote good social and moral values.

For example; yesterday, I watched Gabriel Iglesias' (or his stage name, "Fluffy")  comedy act. He described an event that happened months before. I will save you the details, but the story involved him getting called out for being overweight and constantly harassed by racists. While he admits, at the time, he had been hurt, as he recalls the memory, he does so with a smile.

He chose to laugh at his hardships instead of wallow in them. Because he did so, he now has a renewed confidence in himself, and a love of his body. However, while he grows as a person, his listeners do as well. Now, let me explain: Iglesias laughs at himself, because this is his way of getting through his insecurities. As I laughed at his jokes and humor, I found myself becoming aware of my own insecurities. I realized that I could relate. While I may not be overweight, I am constantly harassed by people who comment that I am "too thin" or very underweight. I've come to the conclusion that I cannot change this, thus, I accept myself as I am.

Gabriel Iglesias

11 comments:

  1. I think this is a great example of Berguson's idea. I feel that comedians often reflect this idea when they joke about serious subjects but also bring attention to the problem at hand, in this case bullying due to weight and physical appearance. I think that comedy can often bring light to subjects that are in other ways to difficult to discuss. Great example and great self connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful Kait! I was an underweight child too and was incredibly annoyed by the hurtful remarks people tended to make. I love how you concluded with, "I accept myself as I am."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I took the exact same approach when writing my Comedy Blog. Stand up comedians can talk about a very serious situation by lightening the mood with comedy. Also I really enjoyed how you related the comedy special to your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good example. It helped me to better understand Henri Bergson's ideas and made me look at stand up comedians in a different way. Great job relating it to your own life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a very good job elaborating on your example! I totally agree; we should accept ourselves for who we are. People are going to talk but the only thing that matters is when we're comfortable in our own skin :) Growing up, I was the chubbiest kid in the school back in Cambodia. The constant laughs really brought my self-esteem down. However, as I grew older, I realize that their mean comments had done nothing but wreck me. The only thing that should be mattered is my health and emotionally being :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you explained the philosophical idea of Bergeson before you actually gave the example, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im not sure on whether or not he has insecurities about his weight but this is an excellent example and i do agree that it does promote good social and moral values.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this example! He seems like a really interesting person. I like the message that he promotes to be confident in yourself and in your body. In this era, I feel like this is something that is lacking. Great post Kaitlin! I'm glad that hes inspired you to also feel comfortable with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great example of Bergson ideas with the Iglesias example. He is a very funny comedian and truly promotes Bergson ideas.

    ReplyDelete